All Instructors at The Doug Yates Karate School are certified Matsumura Kenpo Shorin Ryu Black Belts. Certified Instructors must have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the techniques and how the techniques are applied in real life situations and for sport competition.
The philosophy of positive reinforcement is used to instruct students. No abrasive or harsh criticism is used.
* The primary aim in the art of Karate is neither victory or defeat. The true KarateKa strives physically, mentally and spiritually to build good character.
* Be Square without being angular, Be honest without being mean.
* Be upright without being punctual. Be brilliant without being showy". - Lao Tzu
* Repay injury with kindness" - Lao Tzu
* The Martial Artist knows what is in himself, but makes no display. He respects himself, but makes no honor for himself". - Lao Tzu
* The goal of every Martial Artist should be to become humble. If at anytime he says he is now humble, pride has stepped in and removed true humility". - Master Doug Yates
The Five Maxims of Shorin Ryu Karate:
CHARACTER: Being morally and spiritually balanced.
SINCERITY: Being dedicated to the art and being honest with others and yourself.
EFFORT: Accepting the challenges presented in your study of the art. Being willing to work for what you earn.
ETIQUETTE: Respect for instructors and all higher or lower ranks than yourself. Bow before entering and leaving any dojo.
SELF CONTROL: Being able to control yourself in any situation without resorting to Karate.